Remove copy from layer name

Upload Photoshop Scripts, download Photoshop Scripts, Discussion and Support of Photoshop Scripts

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

The Guv wrote:I did notice that it renames text layers with static text that doesn't update when you edit the content.

I think that is because if you rename a layer the name no longer changes. That same behavior happens if you rename in the GUI as well. It effects type, smart object, and adjustment layers.
txuku

Post by txuku »

Very useful - well done Mike Hale !:)
Addie

Post by Addie »

I'm inclined to think the answer to this is "no", but I'm gonna' ask anyway.

When you duplicate a layer in PhotoShop, it creates a new layer with the same name + "copy", and if you duplicate either again, it names amends it with "copy 2" and so-on... is there anyway to NOT add the word "copy" to the end of the duplicated layer?

PhotoShop does allow you to have more than one layer with the same name. When building a website, especially with the navigational elements, I may reuse a layer a couple dozens times. So I end up with "master nav button", "master nav button copy", "master nav button copy 2" ... "master nav button copy 17", etc. When I organize my files to hand them off to coders, I like to have them very organized. Less room for errors. I organize different pages into folders, different components into sub-folders. No layers are ever named "Layer 42", and such. When I do the final clean up before passing assets off, I remove all the "copy 2", "copy 3", "copy 4", and just group them in the appropriate folders with the other elements they relate to.

So... good god is there any way to make it NOT add the word "copy" and the serial numbering to the end of a duplicated layer?

In the unlikely event that someone knows the cure, thank you in advance.
Dreezer

Post by Dreezer »

Dear Mister Hale,
is there any chance the RemoveCopy script will be updated for Photoshop CS6 use?

Please say yes,
A RemoveCopy addict
Paul MR

Post by Paul MR »

There is no need for a script in Photoshop CS6 you can turn it off in the Layers Palette Options in the Layers Palette.
Dreezer

Post by Dreezer »

Damn, didn't know that.
Thanks, Paul!
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

That option is was added in CS5. So only CS4 or earlier need this script.

But I guess it could still be useful for dealing with existing documents that do have copy in the name. I can extract the code from the panel so it can be run as a standard script. I don't have CS6 but I don't see any reason it wouldn't run in that version. It's the Configurator panel that will not run in CS6.
Dreezer

Post by Dreezer »

Hi Mike,
thanks for the advice.
Why I expected an update of the extension for CS6: After installing RemoveCopy for CS4 and moving over to CS5 I didn't think about checking new options in CS5. RemoveCopy did the trick.

It would be very usefull for me using the extracted script on dirty psd files. So if you ever have the time, feel free
莫凡GameUI

Re: Remove copy from layer name

Post by 莫凡GameUI »

This is the scripts whata I need!!!
Kukurykus

Re: Remove copy from layer name

Post by Kukurykus »