Is there a CS2 redrawing issue?

Discussion of Photoshop Scripting, Photoshop Actions and Photoshop Automation in General

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

johnbeardy

Post by johnbeardy »

Is there a redrawing issue? I have a script that worked fine in CS but redrawing seems different in CS2 (on Windows).

The script starts by displaying a dialog box and placing text on the image, while the dialog's buttons position the text so the user can ensure it isn't covering a key image area. In CS, the text was shown in its initial position on the image or where set by the user clicking the buttons. In CS2, the text does not show until the dialog is closed, which rather undermines the script's purpose.

I also notice that when I drag the dialog box, the grey/white transparency grid is shown in the image areas over which the box has been dragged. I suspect the issue's similar to Larry's post but sticking in dlg.show() and dlg.hide() steps didn't seem to have any effect.

Any ideas?

John
MickM

Post by MickM »

As far as I know, the default in CS2 for actions is to not redraw the screen between steps (accelerated versus step by step) and this is the way scripts now work as well. Unfortunately, while this behaviour is easily changed for actions, there is no direct way to do this for a script.

I use VB.NET and have found that pausing the script for 500 ms is enough to let the screen redraw. I use System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(500).

JavaScript now has a Sleep function which should do the same but I seem to remember xbytor saying that there was some problem. I'm not sure though. Perhaps worth a try if you use JS.
johnbeardy

Post by johnbeardy »

Thanks Mick, that was the clue. I normally run this script, a variable size copyright notice, as a step in an export to web action and the actions palette was set to accelerated - I think this was my doing, rather than the CS2 default.
MickM

Post by MickM »

Glad it helped John even if it was a bit indirect. By the way, I just had a look at your website and I can't view any images except thumbnails. It just says "Huh?". That's what I said as well - no actually I said "Eh?". Is this my Norton Firewall or what?
johnbeardy

Post by johnbeardy »

Thanks for saying so - it's clearly a mistake. The other day I added some htaccess code to prevent off site usage of my pictures (bandwidth theft really), substituting the Huh message - see this post. I had tested on another machine (behind Norton Firewall) and have looked at it again and updated it, but there's clearly an issue! Do you have Norton's Enable Browser Privacy switched on? I just enabled it and could still see the pics. Thanks.
MickM

Post by MickM »

I just have Norton 2003 at its standard default settings. I've got a hardware firewall on my router as well so I tend to leave Norton alone. I've not had this problem before on any website so something is amiss. I get the same in Firefox and IE.

Just checked on a second machine and it's the same with Firewall on or off.
johnbeardy

Post by johnbeardy »

Killed the script, so hopefully it'll be back to normal again. Thanks for following up.