Text Editors

Discussion of Photoshop Scripting, Photoshop Actions and Photoshop Automation in General

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Andrew

Text Editors

Post by Andrew »

What text editor do you use?

I have been using UltraEdit for some years. It has good multi-language highlighting, including JS, and is fairly powerful.

The other day my partner's son, who is doing IS at uni and does a lot of freelance scripting himself, suggested I try Eclipse. It is a free program and sounds like it is in a diferent league form UltraEdit. He uses it with Java, for which it is designed, and also for php, for which it has a module. It will do things like count brackets, automate many statements (eg help you write for loops, if statements etc) checks sytax etc. Sounds great except I could not find a module for Javascript.

Andrew
Larry Ligon

Text Editors

Post by Larry Ligon »

Andrew,
Do you have Photoshop CS 2? Take a look at the debugger in it. See chapter 9 in the JavaScript Reference Guide.

It says that in the debug mode you can hover you cursor over a variable and it will show you the value of that variable. I can't get this to work. I've tried toggling the preference value but still it won't work. I use this a lot when I debug my Visual Basic 6 programs. I would love to have this work in the JavaScript debugger.

Larry
xbytor

Text Editors

Post by xbytor »

I use The One True Editor: Emacs. I also use vi, as needed.

Eclipse rocks! I do all my Java development there, but the editor is not quite as powerful as xemacs, though few people need to be able to read nttp with their editor these days.
bjorke

Text Editors

Post by bjorke »

vim for me when I can. In the end, a text editor, like any other tool, needs to work with your hands. my hands know the vi keys all 'round and sideways.

Any text editor that lets you avoid the mouse is also a Good Idea in my physical therapist's book.
Mike Hale

Text Editors

Post by Mike Hale »

Andrew,

Did you find a plugin for Eclipse? I found one at http://www.interaktonline.com/downloads ... _1.1.0.zip ... _1.1.0.zip

I downloaded it and either I installed it wrong or it doesn't work.

Did you find something that does work?

Mike
Andrew

Text Editors

Post by Andrew »

Hi Mike, the answer s no but I haven't really tried again recently. UltrEdit plus the ESTK seem to be doing OK for now.

Andrew
Mike Hale

Text Editors

Post by Mike Hale »

Not to be dim but what is 'ESTK'?

Mike
xbytor

Text Editors

Post by xbytor »

A misspelling of MST3K?

Or, more likely, the ExtendScript Toolkit that comes with CS2.