JPG doc.save() after SaveAs vs Save for Web

Discussion of Photoshop Scripting, Photoshop Actions and Photoshop Automation in General

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I haven't noticed this before. It seems that if you:

- save a document to jpg using SFW, reopen it, make changes and try just save() you get prompted for jpg options.

- save a document to jpg using SaveAs, reopen it, make changes and try just save() you do not get prompted.

I'm not 100% sure that this always happens, but it certainly does sometimes (like in testing right now).

It's not clear to me why this should be - other than the vague statement that SFW strips everything unnecessary out - this is something I wish it would not strip out.

Andrew
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

Ok Andrew I have had a nap and I think that I am sure on this one.

The save for web does strip everything it can out of the file, including the quality setting. When you resave photoshop doesn't know what quality settings to save at and asks. You may not have noticed, but it also strips out the dpi and photoshop defaults to 72 when it reopens.

I have a 'one hour photo' type store. We have a digital printer that scans as well as prints. When it saves to jpeg it doesn't save any setting, so I run into this all the time. I really hate the dpi part missing. I will do a 90mb hi-res scan for someone then get a call from them later saying it's not hi-res because it opened in photoshop at 72dpi

In batch mode you can get around it with override settings. I haven't found a way to deal with on a single file. If you can please post it, I could really use it

Mike
Norbert

Post by Norbert »

save a document to jpg using SaveAs, reopen it, make changes and try just save you do not get prompted.

This is correct all the time and it does not change the Resolution. I was not aware of this I never did a modification on a jpg due to loss of quality but in CS2 it seems like you can. Will check this tonight in PS 6 and CS where I think this was not the case.

SFW changes the resolution to 72 . We know that Resolution does not matter on the Web only Pixels do but, I guess the programmers thought that most people will put 72 as resolution so they hard coded it.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

"In batch mode you can get around it with override settings."

I tried this, no go so far. If this were possible then it would be possible to script around it, but I can't see how it could be since the data is not there.

One solution is, if the source file is a jpg, use SaveAs and supply parameters, unless you really are saving for web use you don;t need the extra efficiency of SFW. It really would help if the inbuilt quality settings could be read, and that there be a method for dealing with an absence of the data - maybe that is one for the wish list.

Andrew
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

Andrew wrote:"In batch mode you can get around it with override settings."

I tried this, no go so far. If this were possible then it would be possible to script around it, but I can't see how it could be since the data is not there.

How did you save in your action and what settings are you using in batch.

If I record a saveas step and set the quality, then when I batch that action with override saveas, it saves without a dialog. I thnk that it uses the quailty and interlace settings from the acton and only overrides the file name and destination.

Hope this helps
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Ahhh I see what you are saying now . That is the same as scripting a saveAs or SFW step with predetermined quality variables, which is always possible, whereas what I would like to be able to do is to save the file with the existing quality - so that I can script for the user selecting any type of document and not needing to specify saveAs parameters. Anyway, as long as I understand what is possible and what is not I can design my scripts around that so thanks to you and to Norbert for confirming the situation.

Andrew
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

Norbert wrote:SFW changes the resolution to 72 . We know that Resolution does not matter on the Web only Pixels do but, I guess the programmers thought that most people will put 72 as resolution so they hard coded it.

In my opinion pixels are all that matters anywhere. DPI is like a quality setting but works the opposite way from jpg quality. For the same size file, the higher the DPI the better the quality but at a smaller size.

I think that SFW doesn't save the print size so photoshop can't know what the dpi was and defaults to 72. But that is just Photoshops way of doing thing. When my mini lab printer opens that type of file it leaves the print size undefined until I set it.
Norbert

Post by Norbert »

Andrew
Do not forget that SFW strips all Meta Data so the file is smaller you should do this in your sript too if you do Save AS..
On the other hand SFW does not automatically assign the sRGB workspace the web uses which I think it should. You might consider in doing this if the file is in any other space. My one is always Adobe RGB and any file opened will convert to this space. Lots of folks do not know this. Your script will then render better pictures on the Web.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Yes I generally do prespecify sRGB when using SFW, but in this case I am working on a generic script which manages other peoples actions, so I do not want to prejudge what they require.

I think the thing about stripping metadata and ICC data to minimise file size is wildly overdone. Metadata rarely amounts to more than 2 Kb which these days is totally insignificant except for thumbnails, especially in view of the value of some of that data. Obviously optimization is useful at the image data level (a lot can be done with edge-masked noise reduction) but not IMO when it comes to stripping critical data. At the least it would be good to have the option to preserve vital image data such as JPG quality. Like PS Actions, I think Photoshop SFW is due an overhaul.

Here's something interesting though. Looking at my test sfw image in Thumbs Plus it provides data on compression level, maybe it can be calculated.

Andrew
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

"Here's something interesting though. Looking at my test sfw image in Thumbs Plus it provides data on compression level, maybe it can be calculated."

Which version of thumbs are you using? All I see in thumbs 6 is baseline or interlaced.