Layer metadata in CS3

Discussion of Photoshop Scripting, Photoshop Actions and Photoshop Automation in General

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

myranalis

Layer metadata in CS3

Post by myranalis »

I have a project where I want to track some information about each layer in the document. I'd like this to work in CS3 and from what I gather the layer level metadata isn't avail in CS3 - correct? (Pity - that would make life easy.) and I don't want to put the information in the layer name. So I am thinking I will need to have a hash table that gets updated as layers are removed/added. When the document is saved and closed the contents of the hash are written out somewhere for future reference. Maybe the internal photoshop indexes are a suitable candidate for linking the hash records to the layers if they are static enough?. And I'd rather store the contents inside the PSD so it doesn't get lost. Either a hidden text layer, or in the FileInfo would be acceptable.

Has anyone done something like this for CS3 and care to share any pointers?
Mike Hale

Layer metadata in CS3

Post by Mike Hale »

I have not done that in CS3 but I think I would work out some XML structure for the data I needed to save and save the XML as a string in document.info.instructions.

That way the data stays with the image.