Extract File size metadata from images via Bridge script

General Discussion of Scripting for Adobe Bridge

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

wieble

Post by wieble »

Elo. I am new to this scene and do not know how to write JS.

This may seem a very basic issue to many of you - but I would like to know if there is a Bridge script to extract image file size metadata to a csv file.

I have just discovered Bob Stucky's 'Export Metadata Script' & it works fantastically for my purposes of extracting other MD - except it lacks the choice of file size MD. The script itself looks too complicated for me to understand. Bob must be a bit of a legend !

I cannot find the File Size field referenced anywhere - in the Tiff Tag fields, XMP fields, IPTC or EXIF.

Would appreciate input from the experts out there.

Cheers,
wieble
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

If by file size you mean the size when saved to media, it's not part of the metadata.

But you should be able to get it with thumbnail.spec.length

I think that value is in bytes.

Mike
wieble

Post by wieble »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Yes, I do mean the file size – such as the computer memory space the file takes up eg. 32MB.

Is that the same as what you were referring to?

If so, where would I place the ‘thumbnail.spec.length’ term in the script ? For example, Mike, in your script [posted on Nov 06, 2006] in response to the query about "creating a simple list of files and their resolution" – where would you insert ‘thumbnail.spec.length’ ?

Cheers,
wieble
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

Item is a thumbnail object so you could do something like

Code: Select allf.writeln(item.name,',',(item.spec.length)/1024,',',ListMetadata(item) );
wieble

Post by wieble »

Thank you Mike.

That worked for me - & I divided by 1024 once again so that the result was in MBs.

Thanx again!

You too are a legend!

Cheers,
wieble