CS6 and Animation/Video timeline

Discussion of Photoshop Scripting, Photoshop Actions and Photoshop Automation in General

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

d3mac123

Post by d3mac123 »

Can I access the new animation/video timeline via script? I couldn't find anything in the new Javascript guides.
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

You can use Action Manager code to access some timeline properties and methods. What did you want to do?
d3mac123

Post by d3mac123 »

Mike, I am planning to do several things including getting all key frames and their data (scale, alpha, etc). I am experienced with JavaScript but not familiar with Action Manager. Any good pointer on how to learn it?
Thanks a lot!
Alex
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

Action Manger is also called scriptlistener code. There is very little documentation. You can read about how to use the scriptlistener plug-in in the Javascript guide.

I don't use Photoshop to work with video files. I did see a couple of menu items related to key frames but not anything I would think would be useful for what you want.

I also looked through a list of charIDs and stringIDs used with Action Manager and didn't see anything helpful.

I have code to determine the number of frames in a video layer and for moving to the first. last, previous, and next frame.
pfaffenbichler

Post by pfaffenbichler »

d3mac123, what is the ultimate goal/use of the keyframes and the other information?
Are you sure you may not be better off with a dedicated video editing application?
d3mac123

Post by d3mac123 »

Honestly, I am more interested in the animation part (I will not work with video - check this video from Kost: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete- ... toshop-cs6 ... toshop-cs6 - this shows exactly the kind of data that I need to capture overtime).

I have a plugin that creates apps for iOS and Android (http://www.kwiksher.com) that allows users to create animations for their apps using Photoshop (pretty much what I do is to allow them to move their layers in the canvas, then I capture the last position, and its scale/alpha/etc).

With the new timeline, I would be able to capture the timeline data (instead of opening a window to collect data, as I am doing today). Also, depending on the image content in the keyframe, I would be able to automatically export different images, if needed.