Workaround found on error with ActionFileToXML

Discussion of the xtools Toolkit

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

cmyk

Post by cmyk »

When running ActionFileToXML.jsx on a few action files, this error appears:

Error 54: Uncaught Javascript exception: Unable to read Macintosh path information..

In case anybody has or will come across a similar problem, it looks like the error is be caused by any Save step within the action. If the Save step is deleted from the action the xml file is successfully created.

This error occurs with xtools v1.6 on snow/leopard.

Apart from that, thanks for a great script!!
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

Make sure you have the most recent version. The Action* code is actually getting tuned because of a project I'm working on.

The problem with paths is that PS just stores the path info in the native platforms' binary formats. And it gets upset with Mac vs XP. And it gets upset if all of the parent folders don't exist when it tries to parse out the path info. The most current version tries to work around this by catching the exception and changing the path to the desktop. Not a perfect solution, but it solves my immediate problems.
cmyk

Post by cmyk »

What is the most recent version? I have these two versions, not sure which is more recent.

// $Id: ActionFileToXML.jsx,v 1.26 2008/08/06 02:38:31 anonymous Exp $

// $Id: ActionFileFromXML.jsx,v 1.2 2008/11/17 16:50:28 anonymous Exp $

the latter is from xtools v1.6.

Thanks
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

Not to speak for X, but the best thing to do if you want to make sure you are current is get a CVS client and keep up to date with what's on SourceForge.

I'm on Windows and use TortuiseCVS. I think you can find a link to that or a Mac client at SourceForge.
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

Mike is correct. v1.6 is quite old but I am getting better about keeping the CVS repository up-to-date with my dev tree.

Here's the How-to for getting xtools via CVS. The module name is xtools.

https://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=cvs&group_id=173281
cmyk

Post by cmyk »

oops! I was using http://sourceforge.net/projects/ps-scripts/files/. I think i got there originally after a google search. Thanks for the suggestion on CVS.
cmyk

Post by cmyk »

Using the scripts from the CVS repository page link you gave corrected the error I was receiving. Sorry for the false alarm.

Is there a page to download the most recent toolkit as a zip? Something like this page. Installing CVS software on snow leopard requires xcode to be installed in order to build the CVS from source. I might try later when I have more time. Thanks!