PSCS Keep Sidecar Files with Master Files Bug (File Browser)

Bugs and Anomalies in Photoshop excluding Scripting and Actions

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

With Photoshop CS there is a File Browser preference "keep sidecar files with master files". The intention is that if you are using xmp sidecars with your RAW files, if you move the RAW file to a different folder (using the File Browser), then the xmp sidecar goes with it. Unfortunately moving a tiff created from the same raw file to a new folder will move the xmp file - leaving the raw file behind without it's xmp file.

Confirmed in W2K and XP if "keep sidecar files with master files" is ticked:

If you have a CR2 raw file (eg Canon 20D), a tif processed from the same file, and an xmp file all with the same name and in the same folder

eg test.cr2, test.tif, test.xmp

If you move test.tif to a different folder using the File Browser, then test.xmp will move with it leaving test.cr2 in it's original folder with no xmp file.

I believe this also happens with some other Canon raw files and I have heard it also happens with Macs, however I have only personally confirmed it as described above. It may be it happens with other non Canon raw files too. I do not know if the same option exists with CS2 or if the bug has been fixed.

Because of this bug, while I always use xmp sidecars, I never tick this option as it has the ability to destroy part of my xmp based archiving and image processing workflow.

Andrew

Professional AI Audio Generation within Adobe Premiere Pro - Download Free Plugin here

MickM

Post by MickM »

Andrew, this is not a bug in CS2 - Bridge. I might be missing something but there doesn't seem to be an option in Bridge - the sidecar files go with the RAW files anyway.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

MickM - the bug is not that the sidecar files move with RAW files - that does happen fine - the bug is that they also move when you move the same named tif file (leaving the RAW file behind if you move the tif first) - this happens with Canon CR2 files and I believe certain other Canon raw files. I don't think it happens with all RAW files. But perhaps they have fixed it for CS2.

Andrew
MickM

Post by MickM »

Sorry Andrew. My post was misleading - early morning fog. I should have said the sidecar files don't move with tiffs of the same name. I also have a 20D.