Photoshop Elements scripting?

Discussion of Photoshop Scripting, Photoshop Actions and Photoshop Automation in General

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

undavide

Post by undavide »

Hello,
I'm not into Elements at all, but I've been asked to write something for it. Having never had Photoshop Elements, I don't even know whether scripting is supported or not - nor I've found documentation about it. I've been told panels are supported, but there's no mention of Elements, for instance, in the CS SDK.
Has anyone info/links to provide about it?
Thanks in advance,

Davide
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

PSE scripting is not officially supported. It's there in PSE8 (sort of) and PSE9 (much better), the only two revs I've looked at.
BridgeTalk.getTargets() returns the list "ame,bridge,devicecentral,estoolkit,exman,flash,flashbuilder,illustrator,photoshop,pseeditor,pselauncher,pseorganizer,
stockphotos,switchboard" on my Mac/CS5 install. The important bits are the "pseeditor,pselauncher,pseorganizer".

There are no docs. Use your PS docs.

If you copy the ScriptingListener plugin into the right plugin directory in PSE, it will log activity just like PS does. pseeditor is the only one that appears to do anything interesting.

If you do this at the top of your file

Code: Select all#target pseeditor

your script with automagically run in PSE9. This also implies that you can talk to PSE via BridgeTalk.

PSE9 supports a subset of the PS interface. The only way to know for sure is to try out the APIs that you are interested in.

Some PSE9-specific features are supported via scripting, others aren't. The only way to tell for sure is to use the feature and see if you get any output in your ScriptingListener log.

Everything I've listed above can be found via determined experimentation.

And, to repeat the most important bit of info in this post: PSE scripting is not officially supported.

But much of xtools does now work with PSE.

-X
myranalis

Post by myranalis »

For what it is worth, I have been writing scripts compatible with PSE6+ for a few months now. So long as you're working with functionality that Elements supports, most everything works as per the Photoshop documentation... The only stumbling block I've had that I haven't worked around yet, but would dearly love to, is the preset manager in xtools doesn't work with 6 at least. Not sure about later versions.
undavide

Post by undavide »

Thanks for the replies!

I did a couple of tests - it seems the lack of the Apply Image command is quite a problem... and there's no channels as well
I think I'll work around this with Patterns, I'll see.

Anyhow, even though scripting is not officially supported (strangely enough PSE installer has the ExtendScript Toolkit as an option...!) I'm wondering how to integrate scripting within the PSE interface. I've found (actually, a friend of mine, smarter than me has found) that Photo Effects are in the:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe Photoshop Elements/9.0/Photo Creations/

folder. And they're basically actions. If you copy and load them as actions in Photoshop, you see they simply calls Photoshop filters. Why on earth it works this way, I don't know, but I suspect it has something to do with a lot of the AIR stuff in the interface.
So I've been able to replace the, say, ZigZag actions with an action made in Photoshop that calls my script, and presto! I've got a ZigZag filter which launch scripts.
I can customize the thumbnail as well, by the way.

The only drowback is that I'm able to hack an existing filter, but not to add a new one (even using the correct naming convention). I've searched some kind of hidden xml with a filters list, with no luck. Has anyone found a smarter way to integrate scripting? A doubleclick to jsx file (with the ESTK warning all the time) doesn't seem that much appealing.
Thank you,

Davide
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

There is a documented way to take actions recorded in PS and use them in PSE. Check the help docs. You basically have to copy the .atn file into a magic directory and it will get loaded when PSE is launched.
myranalis

Post by myranalis »

Davide -

You can check out the instructions i've written on my website for installing my scripts & actions in PSE 6+ here: http://www.annaforrestdesigns.com/scrip ... &Itemid=13 ... &Itemid=13

Basically I give them a zip file that has an action specific for each OS plus the script itself. I've been meaning to write a proper installer script they can just drag into the PSE desktop but I haven't gotten there yet...

Anna
undavide

Post by undavide »

Anna,
thanks for pointing me to your instructions - by the way, compliments for your website
All the best,

Davide