Solution Needed - Labeling dye-sub prints with file names

Discussion of Photoshop Scripting, Photoshop Actions and Photoshop Automation in General

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

TLL

Post by TLL »

Hello and thanks in advance for you help. We have just set up a Kodak ML-500 (very cool) and I need to automate a Photoshop process for integrating the filename of an image into a finished print. We are talking about 1000’s & 1000’s of hi-res aerial images from a 1.5M ZI DMC digital mapping camera system (very, very cool). I’m a veteran PS user (7.01 now), have a good familiarity with actions, and just started to investigate scripting – that might be the ticket.

The ideal solution would be to rip out the part of ‘Contact Sheet II’ that says, “include filename”, and put that in an action that does all the other stuff I need to do – image size, font, size, placement, etc. I’ve seen solutions that say use Contact Sheet II with just a single image setting, blah, blah, but that does not work ‘cuz it changes the size of the original image (images must be a very specific size), and it will not save the individual image as a separate, finished file. That is where a script might be appropriate?

This issue must have been addressed somewhere, I’d just as soon hit the ground running with a solution (or at least some professional direction) that works rather than waste my time reinventing. To paraphrase Princess Leah “Help me PS Scripts, you’re our only hope”…

TLL
johnbeardy

Post by johnbeardy »

In theory I think that's possible - that's what you most wanted to hear, I guess.

IIRC the scripting plugin was introduced after Photoshop 7. So first make sure you have it.

To meet your exact needs, I suspect you are going to have to edit one or more existing scripts - try this or this. But I don't think this is going to be too tough. You can then run the script from an action or a droplet (did these exist in PS7?) which you can apply to batches of images.

Go boldly where others have gone before - or is that the wrong future?

John
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I am not 100% clear on what it is you want to do, maybe you could go through it in more detail.

Andrew
TLL

Post by TLL »

Thanks for the replies! I'm in the middle of the 4th weekend and will post a complete run through of what I need to do ASAP. So far a much better response than from the Adobe forums - they're busy whining, etc. I guess...

TLL

Post by Guest »

I’ve been asked to clarify exactly what I need to do, so here goes. Steps prefixed with (action) means I know how to do this with an action, not necessarily have to do it that way. This could all end up as a script if that’s the most productive. I the end I’ll have to teach other staff how to do this, so KIS is important…

(action) Open file.
(action) Change canvas size (to create white space @bottom of image for text).
(?????) Retrieve image file name, copy to clipboard.
(action) or (?????) Paste image using text tool (Arial font, 18pt. Black) at X pixel x Y pixel location into text layer.
(actions) Flatten all layers, save file, close.

Repeat 1000’s of times. Any advise will be appreciated!

Thanks, TLL
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

A modified version of the AddFileNamePlus.js was posted to adobeforums for this.
TLL

Post by TLL »

Thanks All! I'm getting AddFileNamePlus.js, might need some help treeking yet - will report back how this goes.

TLL