script to insert file name into IPTC Headline field

General Discussion of Scripting for Adobe Bridge

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

Code: Select all#target bridge // let EntendScript know what app the script is for

addNametoMeta = {};// create an object

addNametoMeta.execute = function(){// create a method for that object
var sels = app.document.selections;// store the array of selected files
for (var i = 0; i < sels.length; i++){//loop though that array

var md = sels.synchronousMetadata;// get the metadata for the file
md.namespace = "http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/";// set the namespace
md.Source = sels.name;//set the porperty
}
}

// this script only works in bridge
if (BridgeTalk.appName == "bridge"){
//creage the munuItem
var menu = MenuElement.create( "command", "Save Filename in Metadata", "at the end of Tools");
menu.onSelect = addNametoMeta.execute;
}

Here is the script with short comments. Things like 'MenuElement.create' you can find in the Bridge guide.

For what namespace to use, I open a file in Photoshop. Choose File-File Info. Then play around with entering data the looking in the advance section to see where that data is stored. There may be a better way but it works for me.

Mike
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

goofy167 wrote:Being a novice if even a small number of comments were included I believe I could understand better how it works. I am not a C expert

Make sure that you pick up 'JavaScript: The Definitive Guide' by David Flanagan. It's my desk reference for JS language stuff. It also has a lot of JS web info in there, but I just ignore that part...

-X
goofy167

Post by goofy167 »

Code: Select allmd.Headline =  sels.name.substring(0,sels.name.lastIndexOf('.'));

This removes the extension from the file name, I am still trying to unravel it. I also have a two letter photographer initial at the end of the file name I need to delete.

American Dipper CT.jpg

Is that hard to do?
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

Code: Select allmd.Headline =  sels.name.substring(0,sels.name.lastIndexOf('.')-3);

substring takes two numbers as arguments. substring(startCharPosition,endCharPosition). lastIndexOf returns the charPotition of the search char. So in your example 'American Dipper CT.jpg ' it would return 18.

Most things that are numbered in javascript start with 0. So for that file sels.name.substring(0,sels.name.lastIndexOf('.')-3) = sels.name.substring(0,15).

The -3 part takes care of the two letter initials and the space before.

You will run into trouble if there are any exceptions to that pattern. For example a file with more or less than two initials.

Mike
goofy167

Post by goofy167 »

That's very cool and so simple. Thank you I have learned a great deal from this thread and plan to buy the Javascript book today with all the great sales on.
Joshua007

Post by Joshua007 »

Where I download this script Make Hale has created, so that I can use it in Adobe Bridge.

Many thanks

Joshua007