Bridge: Voluntary scripting guidelines

General Discussion of Scripting for Adobe Bridge

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

It seems to me that Bridge scripting is likely to benefit even more than PS from some voluntary guidelines - similar in nature to those suggested by Xbytor in the thread Options/Preferences directory for scripts.

For example: if every scriptwriter creates a new menu it is very quickly going to get crowded not to mention messy.

Similarly I think we need to consider: unique namespace issues for startup files; location of libraries; location of data files; location of non-startup scripts, script installation etc.

I'm only just getting started so I am not in a position to make suggestions yet but perhaps we could start with some discussion. Want to have a look at this Xbytor?

Andrew
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

Good ideas here, Andrew.

After I get this Action Management/XML project wrapped (if ever I will be spending a lot of time with Bridge. There are a couple of things that the PS scripting community needs. One is a Guidlines or Best Practices document, or, at least, a first draft of what would be one of those docs. If would be written primarily for existing PS scripters to explain things to them from a perspective that they are familiar with. Bridge and BridgeTalk are a completely different programming model from what we are used to in JS-PS scripting. (At one time, I was doing JavaScript over JMS over MQSeries across multiple machines so I kind of have a handle on how to approach this.)

A second thing that is needed is more directly related to what you are talking about. After someone has decided that they are going to be programming Bridge-style, how should they package their code, what directory structure would be most appropriate for different packages, how should backwards portability issues be addressed?

I'm going to go through the process of packaging parts of my tookit following the guidelines proposal that I posted last week and make adjustments to the document as needed. This will hopefully spur some discussion, more changes, and hopefully (eventually) some consensus.

Then, after we are in some kind of agreement, attacking the Bridge problem should be significantly easier.