More examples of Bridge scripts?

General Discussion of Scripting for Adobe Bridge

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

v.bampton

Post by v.bampton »

Does anyone have any ideas on where to find additional examples of Bridge scripts to study? I've been looking over the AdobeLibrary scripts, but I'm looking for something a little more basic to get the principles behind it, and ideally ones that work with CS2 with CS3 installed on the same system!

The end result I need, is to be able to select files in Bridge, and send that array of files to Photoshop for processing somewhere along the line, but I don't know quite where to start at the moment. I've got it opening files directly from a path from Bridge, but not from the Bridge selections.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I have written a few scripts for bridge, but am by no means a expert at it. Here are a few examples to get you pointed in the right direction.

Here is how you work with the files that are selected in bridge:

Code: Select all            var l = app.document.selections.length; // length of selected files      
            var i = 0;   // counter

while(i < l){
               var tn = app.document.selections;
               var fl = Folder(tn.path); // create folderObj
               fl.rename(tn.name.toUpperCase());
               i++;               
            };

Now if you want to have Photoshop from bridge, you would need to use BridgeTalk (bridges method of communicating with other adobe apps). I have never fully wrapped my head around the ins and outs of it, but here is an example of it I tried awhile back that works (i think):

Code: Select all      // if photoshop is not currently running, launch it
      if ( BridgeTalk.isRunning("photoshop") == false ) {
         BridgeTalk.launch("photoshop", "background");
      };

var image = app.document.selections[0].path;

var bt = new BridgeTalk;   // create new BridgeTalk message object
         bt.target = "photoshop";   // send this message to Photoshop
         // the script to send to photoshop
         bt.body = "var file = new File('" + image + "');" +
            "var docRef = open(file);" +
            "var myx = docRef.width.toString();" +
            "var myy = docRef.height.toString();" +
            "var md = {x:myx,  y:myy};\r" +
            "md.toSource();";

//For the result, use eval to reconstruct the object
         bt.onResult = function(resObj) {
            BridgeTalk.bringToFront("bridge");
            md = bt.result = eval(resObj.body);

// Now you can access fname and fsize properties
            alert(md.x + " / " + md.y);
         };

bt.send();   // send the message

Hope this helps, let me know if you would like me to send over some of my scripts in their entirety.

Patrick
v.bampton

Post by v.bampton »

Thanks Patrick, I'll take a better look over that when I'm fresh in the morning.

Any scripts would be very gratefully received - I learn much better pulling other people's scripts apart and figuring out why they work than I do by sitting down with a book.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi Victoria

I will be updating my Bridge routines to cope with the possibility of CS3 tomorrow. I will then release my revised Bridge Launch script and my revised Photoshop Launch script. These will give you working examples. But they will also provide a means to avoid needing to set up batching routines within your individual scripts, since they provide a full built in batching capability, including using Bridge to point at files and folders, plus filters / selectors, multiple save options etc. The batch can then be run across any combination of (your) scripts or actions you care to select.

Andrew
v.bampton

Post by v.bampton »

Thanks guys. Sorry for the delay in replying, I've had a slightly manic few days with work reopening, but I think I'm back to scripting again now!