Adding scripts to Actions

Discussion of Automation, Image Workflow and Raw Image Workflow

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

NikonVec

Post by NikonVec »

I am involved in a lot of works of handling thousands of photos (digital/scanned, B/W as well as color, of different ages: I have to treat images from '30s) and in my workflow (Bridge-Camera Raw-PSHP) I have a lot of repetitive actions to take.
One very delicate action is saving, in different moments of the workflow, images with different filenames extensions (having the same root of the initial image filename) in different directories; most of the times, this occurs at the end of an Action that I have recorded for specific job.
I would like to have a "script" that automates the renaming of the image file and writes it in the right directory, instead of typing the right extension and selecting the right directory by hand: beyond the waste of time, the real problem is that an error will have devastating effects.
I have tried to accomplish this with the standard PSHP Action facilities, but I haven't been able to.
I have an acceptable knowledge of Visual Basic, while I don't know anything about JS, and therefore the best thing would be writing imyself in VBA a function that handles the different situations for saving images with the right filename (where do I get it ?) extensions in the right directory, producing a .exe that I would activate (is it possible ? how ?) at the end of diffrent Actions.
BTW, I have the Design Premium Creative Suite 3 in an XP SP3 always updated.
Great thanks to the ones that can help me: I need it.

Mauro (Italy)
pfaffenbichler

Post by pfaffenbichler »

So have you been able to accomplish your task with VB?
Because if not I think you could fairly easily do it with JavaScript; the parameters you’d need to edit for various target locations and additional suffixes should be manageable.