Incrementing filenames within actions

Discussion of Automation, Image Workflow and Raw Image Workflow

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Barrykap

Post by Barrykap »

Tnaks Mike.

I'll check that out tomorrow.

I've also been given another 'tip' to try and I'll explain that when I have had a chance to try it out, but only if your script doesn't work.

Cheers.

Barry.
Barrykap

Post by Barrykap »

Hi Mike.

Been trying out lots of things but it seems PS just won't allow you to have everything precisely as you want things.

In the end, after a complete full-circle I came back to your supplied script and while it still numbers them in the opposite order to as scanned this really won't matter as I simply scan the photos in reverse order, any number at a time as it simply appends the new ones to the end of the last saved file.

I think this will do me, so many thanks indeed for all your help.

Anything I can do for you in return please ask, although I am not an expert with PS!

Best regards,

Barry.
ragedriven

Post by ragedriven »

Mike,

I started an account just to thank you for the code! I know this is an older post, maybe someone else scanning their family pictures with a flat bed scanner and photoshop will benefit.

I have been beating my head on the wall with this problem all day, trying to scan lotsa pictures, got the PS actions going to scan and to auto crop rotate, but it would always overwrite the "untitled-1" when i would scan another tray full of pictures.

Well i just put this script at the end of the action and it works perfectly (scans, crops, rotates, saves with sequential numbering, closes). If you ever need to start the numbering over though you gotta search for the "temp.ini" file that it saves the last number in. You also must edit the file to tweak the jpg save settings and to customize the Prefix (Prefix-1.jpg).

Barry, I got that same error when i tried to save into the admin pictures folder when i wasn't admin (saving into a folder you don't have rights to save to).

One question though, I want it to be where i only have to push the action button in photoshop and reload the scanner, push action button, ect.

I have one extra step i can't seem to eliminate, in the import -> wia step of the action command...

PS gives me a dialog where i have to manually change it to custom scan and change the dpi. By default it is 75dpi, i have tried going to contrtol panel and setting it, using twain instead, many other things, i can't seem to eliminate this step.

Is there a way to input arrow key and tab, space keystrokes into an action?