timer

Discussion of Automation, Image Workflow and Raw Image Workflow

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Andrew

timer

Post by Andrew »

It seems to me there are quite simple logistical ways of dealing with this (maybe I am understanding wrong).

I assume you only need to know the times the images were open periodically, say once a day.

If the images are saved back into the same locations, then, have an event script that, on opening an image, writes that images details, including opening time, to a text file. Then, some time later, perhaps using on-close, perhaps some other way like on closing photoshop, perhaps as a once a day script run at a specific time, have a second script that checks the last modified date of all the image addresses in the text file. This can be done without opening the images again.

A second version would be if the images are saved to new locations. Then you want to look for them again in a new set of subfolders.

Sounds too easy to be what you want but maybe it can help.

Andrew
sodoku

timer

Post by sodoku »

Maybe this task is easier than i think. Our customer wants us to give them a detailed list, how much work was spent on the individual images.
e.g.
Code: Select allimageA              70s
imageB              78s
imageC              60s
imageD              90s

If I understand you correctly the drawback of your solution is, that we always open 10 images, then work on them, then open another 10 images. This would set the same start time for this 10 images.
Andrew

timer

Post by Andrew »

If you're answering my post, no. Run a script tied to the Open Document event that records the time, documents location and name to an external text file (it adds it on to the end of the existing content of the text file, preferrably on a new line). Later you run another script that reads off the 'last modified' time of the all the saved files recorded in the text file (you have to decide some sort of policy for file saving) - this can be done without opening the files. Then it is trivial to calculate how long you had each file open. Maybe I am missing something, I must admit I have rarely used event scripts, but I cannot see any obvious reason why it would not work.

Andrew
sodoku

timer

Post by sodoku »

We always open 10 ore more images but work on only one. Having an image open in photoshop doesn't mean, it is being worked on. But still thanks for your fast answers.
Andrew

timer

Post by Andrew »

OK here's another suggestion. Assuming you work one image at a time to completion, make the first thing you do for each image (perhaps as the first step in an action) to run a script that records the document details to the text file. It seems to me inefficient use of your processing resource having a script running in the background, although as xbytor says, it can be done using Bridge Talk - but there would be accuracy problems with that since Bridge Talk scripts would be queued within Photoshop.

Andrew
xbytor

timer

Post by xbytor »

Andrew wrote:but there would be accuracy problems with that since Bridge Talk scripts would be queued within Photoshop.

That might be avoided by having the Bridge script make all of its calls synchronously. That way there would only ever be one call outstanding. It also means that initially the Bridge script would have to record the time that initially the reply was returned in addition to the time that the request was sent. You'd also have to working in a timeout interval, etc..., to make sure you're not hanging. The net result would be a lot of data but probably no good way to make sense of it all.

-X