Detecting the top of head and bottom of chin.

Anyone, especially newbies, asking for help with Photoshop Scripting and Photoshop Automation - as opposed to those contributing to discussion about an aspect of Photoshop Scripting

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

iLoveSpam

Detecting the top of head and bottom of chin.

Post by iLoveSpam »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is possible but I am trying to automate putting guides on multiple headshots. I am able to find the top of the head with "select subject" and getting the top reading of selection bounds. However, I really can't think of a way to find out where the chin is. Would appreciate any help on this. I've attache a sample of what I am trying to achieve:
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 5.02.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 5.02.54 PM.png (41.07 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
Kukurykus

Re: Detecting the top of head and bottom of chin.

Post by Kukurykus »

Are you going to do it on real faces? If so and you don't want to attach the images here, I'm sending the private message to you to receive them.
iLoveSpam

Post by iLoveSpam »

Hi,

Yeah, I will be doing it on actual headshots. Appreciate you taking the time to reply and would welcome any suggestions. I've included a stock image I found, I just need two guides. I know the liquify filter can detect the chin but I could not figure out how to use it to help me make a guide. Thanks for any help!
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 7.45.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 7.45.04 PM.png (702.27 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
Kukurykus

Post by Kukurykus »

Make duplicate of bottom layer, detect chin by Liquify filter, then set blend mode to difference and trim the image.
iLoveSpam

Post by iLoveSpam »

That's exactly what I had tried, didn't have much luck because adjusting the chin also adjusts the neck. But, it may be the only way. I will try various settings and filters to get me a clean channel to make a selection from. Still open to any other suggestions in the meantime. Thanks for the suggestion!
Kukurykus

Post by Kukurykus »

I have not tried how accurate it is, but perhaps the smallest value will give you the best result?
Additionally you can detect at same time the smile to calculate then potential ​distance to chin.
yuikjoo

Post by yuikjoo »

This is what I want to accomplish too.
Did you solve the problem?
What I would like to do is calculate chin to top of head and measure the size in mm and open alert dialog.
Kukurykus

Post by Kukurykus »

What is your achievement so far in doing it?