Self updating photoshop panel

General Discussion of Scripting for Flex, Flash & CS SDK

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

cameronmcefee

Post by cameronmcefee »

Hello,

I've come to dislike the process by which one updates a custom Photoshop panel. I'd love for my panel to be able to download, unpack, and install updates itself. Ideally, I'd love to be able to do it in the background the way apps like Chrome or GitHub for Mac do, but I'd settle for making the user click an update button. The key is that I would love to be able to circumvent the whole Extension Manager process. I'm fine with it as a method of first install, but I hate that my users have to leave photoshop, launch an app that a large number don't know exist, and update from there.

I've been trying to come up with some solid way to do this. It appears that AIR apps can update themselves. The examples use a .air file, but I wonder if it'd be possible to use a different format. http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AIR/1.5/dev ... AA27541A1E

Does anyone know if this is possible, this way or any other?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron
undavide

Post by undavide »

Hi Cameron,
I didn't know about self-updatability of AIR apps - yet this would probably mean that extensions can do it as well - have you tried asking in the Adobe's Extension Builder forum? In case, please keep us updated.
As a side note, there's nothing that prevents a panel to keep in sync with a remote server (provided the internet connection is on) and copy files here and there. I never went in deep in the topic so I may be wrong - yet it's interesting.
Kind regards

Davide
cameronmcefee

Post by cameronmcefee »

Hi Davide,

I haven't ventured into the Extension Builder forums, as I've been building my panel with Flash Builder thus far. I did ask around in the Photoshop SDK forum with minimal help. I've done some testing and it looks like I'll be able to pretty easily download and overwrite the existing panel files to it updates on the next launch. Definitely not an official Adobe sanctioned method, but it looks to have promising results. That, paired with a good update server that allows for multiple release channels and I think it could be an exciting way to do panel dev/publishing.
undavide

Post by undavide »

Cameron,
I'd try on the Extension Builder forum as well, since many experienced programmers stick around there - and could easily give you a hand (no matter whether you use EB or the CS SDK alone).
Be aware that the new Adobe Exchange (now in preview) may become an interesting way to update panels as well. Currently you've to look for updates in the Exchange panel (the same way you'd do on Extension Manager), but 1. the panel is within Photoshop and it's not a third part software 2. things are still pretty fluid and it may be that engineers will implement pop up notifications for installed panels as well.

Davide

PS
I forgot to mention that Exchange calls Extension Manager, but it's quite a silent process - unless you provide extensions that aren't signed with a valid certificate, so the usual red alerts are shown.