flex dialogs

General Discussion of Scripting for Flex, Flash & CS SDK

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Hemmendorff

flex dialogs

Post by Hemmendorff »

Also note that i developed the interface using Flash IDE, not Flex, but it's both flash version 9 and AS3 so it shouldn't be that much of a difference... But i can't really tell
Mike Hale

flex dialogs

Post by Mike Hale »

Hemmendorff, as it seems that there are several of us that would like to start using Flex I for one would like to see the code you had if you can find it.

Mike
Hemmendorff

flex dialogs

Post by Hemmendorff »

I found it, wasn't as fancy as i remember it.
It's just a flash with four test buttons,

1 Sends a string to the external interface(js) and outputs the result in the flash
2 The js file reads a local txt file and sends the contents to the flash (i've never gotten it to read local files directly in flash to work, all must be sent through the js host)
3 Another send to js and return string thing
4 Play flash

Running it from EST will make the "Read local file" not work.
Try running it in OSX leopard and you will get some worse issues. If i remember correctly it kinda fails on all these. It can't even play/change frame inside the flash.

Again, the swf file was created in Flash IDE, doing it in Flex is a much better option and i can't say how that would change functionality. If i remember correctly, files compiled in Flash IDE can only be set to allow either network connections or local connections, and you need the local connections to communicate with the js file. I think Flex files can be more dynamic here.

http://hemmendorff.com/work/flashInPSTests.zip

Here's the code to create the flash window, maybe i'm doing something wrong here allready.
Code: Select allfunction createFlashWindow(){
   var flashApp =
   "dialog {   \
      fp: FlashPlayer { preferredSize: [400, 400] },    \
   }";

var dlg = new Window (flashApp,"FLASHTEST");
   dlg.margins = [0,0,0,0];

dlg.onShow = function () {
      try {
         this.fp.loadMovie(flashFile);
         this.fp.playMovie();
      } catch (e) {
         alert("Load Movie function failed: " + e.toString());
      }
   }
   dlg.show();
   return dlg;
}
galori

flex dialogs

Post by galori »

I'm developing an app using the Flex IDE / PatchPanel with CS4 and Leopard. Its working quite well.

The introduction of Flex allows easier communication with server side code.

I'm using AMF (Flash Remoting) to communicate with a Ruby on Rails server side application, uploading images which then the server stores in S3, storing and retrieving data in a MySQL database.

Using Flex also allows drag & drop design of the user interface, using widgets like progress bars and embedding graphics and icons, and using a strong typed language (ActionScript) to access extend script with code completion in the IDE, which is fun.