Feature wishlist

Upload Photoshop Scripts, download Photoshop Scripts, Discussion and Support of Photoshop Scripts

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Mike Hale

Feature wishlist

Post by Mike Hale »

New scripting features or extension of existing features welcome.
xbytor

Feature wishlist

Post by xbytor »

Add a preference to PS to allow using the Alt key trick to launch a script into the ESTK debugger.

Also, it would be nice if we could vote on new features/bug-fixes. Then I could use my Admin privileges to make sure that this one has the most votes.
epic

Feature wishlist

Post by epic »

Adobe Bridge:
Batch Rename - Ability to select a folder or group of folders and rename the files within, keeping the folder structure. Currently in CS5 you have to select the images to run this batch rename.

Ability to rename a folder and or files from uppercase to lower case and vs versa?

Photoshop:
Ability to Save for Web with multiple file format support (.png) using custom file renaming, running multiple actions, and save a series of an image in different versions, sizes, formats. While keeping the sub-folder structure.

Basically combining the features of Batch processing, Image Processor II, S4W, and making a droplet, all within one window.

Droplets: Increase the file limit on a droplet, currently you can only drop about 30 files on a droplet to process. If I tried dropping 100 file on a droplet, I get this error: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"
Mike Hale

Feature wishlist

Post by Mike Hale »

Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. This thread is for features we would like to see added to the scripting DOM. Full access to tool options would be an example.

SFW and droplets are GUI features. Here is where you can post those types of requests. https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/in ... e=wishform ... e=wishform
pattesdours

Feature wishlist

Post by pattesdours »

Complete, reliable and up-to-date scripting documentation would be a nice start

About that "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" problem: I suspect it's an OS file browsing/selecting issue, because drag-dropping a folder with hundreds of images on a droplet instead does not cause this error.
larsen67

Feature wishlist

Post by larsen67 »

Mike, this is not so much a feature request (or could it be I don't really know?). As you know I try to script with several app's mostly CS and a question that has been bothering me for some time now but I don't really know where best to ask this… In InDesign the people at Adobe have added some extra stuff to the way in which the app can be scripted with the ESTK. All collections appear to have additional methods that are not present in any of the other CS app's and I don't know how or why? Is this good, bad or just different? You have anyItem() everyItem() firstItem() itemByRange() lastItem() middleItem() nextItem() previousItem() Now this to me is AppleScript-esque. My some what vague questions are do you think this would be good for the other app's including Photoshop and Bridge to use too? How have they done this (that might be more of a question for X…) some clever prototyping and added built-in functions (if so don't try explain just a yes/no) it will only go over my head. Do you think its any more useable? Would it break a lot of scripts if it were introduced? With AppleScript I get this kind of access with everything because its part of the AppleScript Language terms where as with ESTK each app's scripting team or what ever they have at Adobe appear to do their own thing…

I asked here because I know that you have also done some work with ID too and wondered what your thoughts were on this?
Mike Hale

Feature wishlist

Post by Mike Hale »

I think those 'additional methods' work for InDesign mostly because InDesign features. It can have multi docs with multi pages with multi graphic/text frames and the text frames can have multi paragraphs. There are doc and global preferences and rulers. That is a lot to deal with and those methods help but I have trouble using them. Maybe that is because I cut my teeth on the Photoshop DOM.

I guess if one really liked those methods they could add them( or something similar ) to Photoshop as part of a start-up script or include lib. But because almost everything you need to work with in Photoshop has a name property and there is a getByName method for those classes I don't feel that they are that needed.

And because of the way Photoshop handles layers in the DOM I'm not sure how everyItem(), firstItem(), lastItem(), middleItem(), nextItem(), or previousItem() would work with layers. Should it work with the whole layer stack or just the current layerset?
pfaffenbichler

Feature wishlist

Post by pfaffenbichler »

If I’m not mistaken xbytor’s Script utilizing hiding selected layers is still the best way to identify multiple selected layers; so a property »activeLayers« (possibly additionally to »activeLayer«) would seem an improvement to me.
Mike Hale

Feature wishlist

Post by Mike Hale »

pfaffenbichler wrote:... so a property »activeLayers« (possibly additionally to »activeLayer«) would seem an improvement to me.

I agree, or maybe name the new property selectedLayers and have it return an array of layers. If only one layer is selected it returns an array of one element. And have it return an empty array if no layers are selected.

I would also like to see a fast layer property for the current DOM index.
pfaffenbichler

Feature wishlist

Post by pfaffenbichler »

What exactly would the »fast layer property« be?

maybe name the new property selectedLayers and have it return an array of layers. If only one layer is selected it returns an array of one element. And have it return an empty array if no layers are selected.

Definitely good ideas.

May I ask if someone of the responsible Adobe-personnel is likely to peruse this thread or might posting in the Photoshop Feature Request Forum be more likely to garner attention?