JS script for batch updating IPCT captions - Captionator

Upload Photoshop Scripts, download Photoshop Scripts, Discussion and Support of Photoshop Scripts

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

haggest

Post by haggest »

I use CS to create web galleries, so I often need to add captions/descriptions, author, URL, etc. to my images. I got tired of copy - pasting them so I wrote a little script.

I always create a set of cutlines for my pictures so I have the captions and filenames in a text file. My script reads the text files and updates the IPCT fields - updating the files in place.

It is my first CS js script, which took awhile to debug, but it works for me I've read some of your work and incorporated some of your good ideas.

Please give some positive feedback as I'm thinking I'd add additional functionality. Thanks.
Steve
BinaryFX

Post by BinaryFX »

Steve, I am just starting to look at scripting in Photoshop (knowing nothing about coding), being a non programmer and a GUI user I have always done this with actions with v7 or earlier. Simply record an action with the common file info that is not image specific and run the action on a file, or batch it to multiple files.

With CS and CS2 I create and append a custom metadata template to a group of images, with is better than using actions and opening and resaving files, when all one wishes to do is get at the metadata and not the image data.

I am interested in your alternate approach that seems more complex (but perhaps a good way to explore), so I will give it a look!

While on the subject of metadata, I have a quick question...

Do you know of a way to write a cross platform .js Photoshop CS or CS 2 (or that works in Adobe Bridge) that will delete/strip/or overwrite with a blank space character existing, EXIF, XMP or earlier metadata like IPTC or Photoshop info? The idea being to be able to strip any or all metadata from one or more files in a batch operation? From the Bridge or File Browser from multiple files would be nice. Metadata is good for the file producer, but there is no need for all subsequent users of the image to have this data.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I think with a bit of experimentation you will find you can very efficiently strip it out using 'replace' with metadata templates. If not it could be scripted but the latter would probably be faster - and easier for a non-scripter.

Andrew
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I've just had more of a look at this for myself and it would seem that using a near blank metadata template (taken from an output save for web file) and applying it to another files does not work (the existing metadata is not replaced). I will be looking into this further.

Andrew