Scripting wish list.

Discussion of Photoshop Scripting, Photoshop Actions and Photoshop Automation in General

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Rags

Scripting wish list.

Post by Rags »

Scripting wish list.

1) The ability to get the pixel values from a single pixel or a selection of pixels with decimal precision in RBG, CMYK, or Lab mode. Another way of stating this is a “scriptable eyedropper”. The current histogram approach is clumsy, slow, and inaccurate.

2) The ability to call an action from within a script that in turn calls another script. The classic failure is demonstrable with the “Image Processor” script provided by Adobe.

3) The ability to record a script in an action with the path being defaulted. Currently the full path is recorded making the action non-portable to another system.

Cheers, Rags
Andrew

Scripting wish list.

Post by Andrew »

"The ability to call an action from within a script that in turn calls another script. "

I would support the 'wish' but in case it might help - my ah-chains.js script provides a pretty easy way to target combinations of actions and scripts, I tend to run the output script from Script Launch but I'm sure it can adapted to other purposes.

bb/viewtopic.php?t=241

Andrew
xbytor

Scripting wish list.

Post by xbytor »

Rags wrote:2) The ability to call an action from within a script that in turn calls another script.

In addition to Andrew's solution, I have one that will let you execute an action from Javascript but not via the Actions Palette. It reads an action in from an action file and executes it in Javascript one step at a time. Another workaround that I have that works in some situations is to translate the action into javascript and just "//@include" it in the calling script.

Rags wrote:3) The ability to record a script in an action with the path being defaulted.

My workaround for this one is to 'fix' the action file (before execution) by replacing the original script paths in the action file with script paths appropriate for the execution environment and creating a new action file.

Both of these are in XTookit. Having the functionality in PSJS directly instead of writing all of this work-around code would be better, definitely. And less educational for me, of course .

ciao,
-X