Custom Menu CS5

Discussion of Photoshop Scripting, Photoshop Actions and Photoshop Automation in General

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

theiviaxx

Custom Menu CS5

Post by theiviaxx »

Hello all, did they make some way to add custom menus to PS in CS5? It was borderline impossible with cs2 and got worse (so i've heard) with cs3. As far as I know alienbrain and some 3d paint app were able to successfully do it, yet there is no documentation on how do it as far as I can tell.

I was hoping with CS5 they had opened it up a bit more.

Thanks
Mike Hale

Custom Menu CS5

Post by Mike Hale »

From a scripting point of view you can still only add to the filter, automate, and scripts menu.
jcr6

Custom Menu CS5

Post by jcr6 »

Actually you can insert under the HELP menu, too.

So,
1) File > Scripts
2) File > Automation
3) Filters (at the bottom, no hierarchy)
4) Help

Would be nice to be able to mix the scripts in with the filters based upon the category name, and also add something under Selection, again Hierarchical.
theiviaxx

Custom Menu CS5

Post by theiviaxx »

It would be nice if they opened it up a bit more. and by a bit I mean a lot I wish there were a photoshop-esque tool with the scripting capabilities of Maya/XSI/Max. Imagine being able to use QT, python, and javascript. the things we could do!
rmawatson

Custom Menu CS5

Post by rmawatson »

Funnily enough this is actually possible, I have done just that for our studios asset management system. Custom menuing through python extensions, provided through an embedded interpreter which is hosted by a photoshop plugin.Taking full advantage of PyQt too, which works really well. You can use the com stuff directly with the win32 extensions package available.

Adding the mens is a non trivial task, and invovles a bit of hackery. I ended up tracing through the assembler to find out what was going on, although I have wrapped everything up and exposed a mini menuing api for python.

Hopefully I will be able to release this to the community.

http://i33.tinypic.com/sqi4ib.jpg