Error 1: Unable to Create Window - OS error: [1400]

Anyone, especially newbies, asking for help with Photoshop Scripting and Photoshop Automation - as opposed to those contributing to discussion about an aspect of Photoshop Scripting

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

IsraelThompson

Post by IsraelThompson »

We seem to be encountering this message rather frequently, and a simple restart of Photoshop solves the problem, but we are uncertain what exaclty is causing it and if there is another way around it besides restarting Photoshop...

Anyone else experience the error? It's always directed at or complaining about a line in the code that creates a new dialog window. I.e. - newWindow('dialog', 'Window Name')

We're running Windows XP/Vista/7 On Photoshop CS4 32/64.

Izz
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

This category of errors typically happens to individual machines. Not sure why, but it appears that something inside the ScriptUI toolkit is getting corrupted at runtime. There is nothing a script can do to recover from this error. Restart PS is the only immediate solution. Re-installing PS may alleviate the problem, but not always; there may be a deeper problem with something on that particular machine that even a re-install may not fix.

If you have this happening on different machines with different OSs, you may have a better chance of getting this problem resolved. Also, try installing PSCS5 as a trial copy and see if you are still having the problem.

Good luck.
IsraelThompson

Post by IsraelThompson »

I figured as much. CS5 is a good suggestion. We'll see.

Izz
IsraelThompson

Post by IsraelThompson »

I forgot to mention that this only happens with a certain somewhat complex dialog window I've written. Whenever these users invoke the script, that's when they see the error.

It's something that doesn't happen all the time (or every single time), but does happen frequently with users who are most active with different images throughout the day (since this script is supposed to get invoked at the very end of a retouch job, and is a checklist of sorts, to make sure the artist didn't forget anything). So the really busy users who work on 4-5 images a day may see this thing once or twice a day. Others who are longer on more detailed files and only output 1 or 2, may be lucky to see it once a day if even once every few days, but it is inevitable that they will see the error eventually.

I'm thinking there's something I've done in my code that causes this to happen. Perhaps an overload resources... and once my script has caused the issue, then my script and only my script (I think) will not run until restart - as other dialogue windows native to PS seem to open perfectly fine (haven't verified if any third party dialogue windows are broken as well, however).
IsraelThompson

Post by IsraelThompson »

I'm thinking this problem may be due to low memory settings in PS. I'm noticing that on one machine that the error appears on, there is already a small amount of memory to begin with. Checking other machines, but I'm fairly certain the memory issue is my culprit!