Alt/Option + layer eye clicking functionality inside a layer group only

Anyone, especially newbies, asking for help with Photoshop Scripting and Photoshop Automation - as opposed to those contributing to discussion about an aspect of Photoshop Scripting

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

skrippy

Alt/Option + layer eye clicking functionality inside a layer group only

Post by skrippy »

When we Alt/Option click the eye on a layer, we see this layer only.

I wish PS had native functionality to do this inside a layer group only, keeping what was visible outside of it untouched. This way you can switch between, for example, variations you made inside a layer group (and not needing Layer Comps). Ctrl+Alt/Option + eye click for example. I don't think it has?

The simplest alternative I'm envisioning is a hotkey to a script that cycles through the first level of layers inside a layer group and makes visible *only* the next layer each time.

For example, I would want to cycle through these 4 variations (inside the group only showing that layer) with a hotkey...

Some may want forward and backward, and/or starting from an already selected layer, but if it comes down to me I have to start even simpler, like starting on the first layer and somehow selecting the next layer on each script activation... :mrgreen:

My first questions are if this has already been solved before? Or if anyone feels it so useful they might wanna whip it up? :oops:

Otherwise I will someday dig into it and I would welcome key script bits, or clever ways you would go about it :idea:

Pseudo code for my ideal script (that would start by showing a possibly already selected layer only, then the next, etc., and also cycle) ...

Code: Select all

If ( (a layer group is selected OR the curent selection is inside a layer group) AND in this group more than one layer exists)

If (a layer inside the group is active) {

save its index

Make all layers inside this group invisible

Make the layer visible again that we saved.

} Else {

make visible the first layer only

}
}

This pseudo code is still lacking the clever bits to go to the next layer on each script activation, and to keep cycling...

TIA for any pointers :)