Script executable - how to?

Discussion of Photoshop Scripting, Photoshop Actions and Photoshop Automation in General

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

undavide

Post by undavide »

Hi,
this post's title might be misleading, so let me tell you what I'm after to clarify my needs.

I'm trying to build a general purpose PS Add-Ons installation script (much on the track of xbytor xtools installer.jsx) which is currently a WIP project on GitHub here. I'm basically fed up with Adobe Extension Manager and the CC app File Sync isn't any better IMO.
Users will have to download a ZIP, unZIP it and Photoshop > Files > Scripts > Browse... pointing to the installer.jsx - which will take care of files deployment for Scripts, FLASH & HTML Panels, Mac/Win Plugins, Extra stuff.

Now, things more or less work, and I'm trying to see if there's a way to save users from the File > Script > Browse... step (some of them mistake Adobe Acrobat for Adobe Extension Manager so simplification is paramount when it comes to customer support).

Since I'm still in the realm of a PS script and not a regular Win/Mac executable installer, I wonder if there's a cleaner way to launch the script.

I would have suggested inserting #target photoshop and double-click the script file, but since ESTK isn't anymore installed by default alongside with PS, I'm afraid it won't work - will it?
Is there a way to create a droplet that executes a script by drag and drop of the JSX on it? (or just droplet double click)?
Any better suggestion?

Thank you very much!

Davide Barranca
---
http://www.davidebarranca.com
http://www.cs-extensions.com
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

Open up PS and drag the script onto the app or app icon. That's the simplest way to do it that I know of.
undavide

Post by undavide »

xbytor wrote:Open up PS and drag the script onto the app or app icon. That's the simplest way to do it that I know of.
Thanks xbytor,
does that apply to Windows too?
Thank you!

Davide
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

Code: Select alldoes that apply to Windows too?

That's where I tested it with CS6.

IRRC, back in the day, jsx files would be type-associated with PS so you could just double-click a jsx and it would run.
undavide

Post by undavide »

Turns out that, in order for the script to create folders and copy files, on Windows Photoshop must be "Run as Administrator".
I've been told that when PS is Run as Administrator, JSX files drag & drop doesn't work (you must File > Scripts > Browse...)
Minor annoyances...

Davide
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

Code: Select allI've been told that when PS is Run as Administrator, JSX files drag & drop doesn't work (you must File > Scripts > Browse...)

Just tested this. Very odd indeed. There's probably a logical security-related reason for this.