Image Processor Pro now in Beta

Use this Forum for Beta-Testing your Photoshop Scripts

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

xbytor

Post by xbytor »

Dr. Brown has a new Image Processor replacement (Image Processor Pro) that is now in initial beta-release.
See http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2011/05/ne ... r-cs5.html ... r-cs5.html

This is a significant step up from the Image Processor script that ships with PS, so you might want to take
a look at it.

One feature that will probably be added in the near future is recordability. This means that you'll be
able to record IPP invocations as Action steps. This will greatly enhance its use in more complex
workflows.
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

In the interests of full disclosure, I'm the author of the Image Processor rewrite :).

However, send all bug reports and info request to Dr. Brown. He's the one with the requisite people skills.
jjmacks

Post by jjmacks »

I would reply to Russell Brown site but I can not find out where to reply the only place I see Image processor Pro is in your John Nack link. Have you add added in the recordability feature. I downloaded it and tried to record an Action using it. However does not seem to have plug-in support coded in like the fit image script plugin does which records the dialog settings used during the recording of the action into the Action step so it can bypass the dialog when the action is played. So far the Image Processor Pro script can save sets of dialog settings and load the save sets when used this save and load feature needs to be added for action plug-in support seems missing . For when Used in an action all that get recorded is the use of the script. A script step and when this step is played the scrips dialog is always display and user intervention is required. Complete automation is not possible without coding plug-in support into the script for the script is designed to present a dialog which requires user intervention and can not be bypassed.
jjmacks

Post by jjmacks »

I found it on Russell site and downloaded the newer version and reported I could not record and action the used it. Tried to record an Action one step that used Image Processor Pro in CS5 Windows XP sp3 all updates. The image processor Pro Ran and created the files I wanted while recording the action. However Action created was not created correctly. The action Palette showd an Action with one empty step and the action would run generated a program error message. Image Processor Pro 2.1.4
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

I had an earlier rev of this recording correctly. I'll check into it.

I may have to convince Russell (and others at Adobe) that we really need to make this a proper plugin. In theory, you should be able to record parameters from a direct script invocation but it may not be as reliable as using the plugin interface.
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

X, the Image Processor Pro 2.1.4 that is on Russell's site now( 6/21/2011) is your version // $Id: ImageProcessorNG.jsx,v 1.33 2011/06/04 18:36:48 anonymous Exp $

Although it looks like it has the support code for action playback it doesn't have the needed javascriptresource terminology section needed to work as a plug-in.
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

Although it looks like it has the support code for action playback it doesn't have the needed javascriptresource terminology section needed to work as a plug-in.

Yep. In theory, you should be able to load and store playback parameters without having to do a javascriptresource block. But whether or not I was ever able to actually do so is not clear. I thought I had at some point, but maybe not.

For this particular script, I'll try to talk them into going the plugin route.
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

xbytor wrote:For this particular script, I'll try to talk them into going the plugin route.If by that you mean porting it to C++, I think that would be a shame. Doing so would prevent end users from modifying the script to fit their needs. I think that is the one great advantage of a javascript over C++ plug-ins.

Adobe seems to be porting plug-in to javascript over the last several versions of Photoshop when they can. I would think making this a C++ plug-in would be a step in the wrong direction.
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

If by that you mean porting it to C++, I think that would be a shame.

That is _not_ what I meant. I just fired of an email to Russell and Tom at Adobe recommending that I add the <javascriptresource> block
to the current script and making other changes necessary to Bridge related code to support the change.
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

FYI, I did find an action that calls Image Processor Pro as a script with playback parameters recorded.
I'm not quite sure what has changed that broke recording.