file attributes

General Discussion of Scripting for Adobe Bridge

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

stugots

file attributes

Post by stugots »

I'm not sure I posted this question here as it has more to do with Illustrator than Photoshop, but I think the solution will come from Bridge. I would be happy to explain the situation more, but basically I need a reliable way to store the name of one layer and its sub-layers when a file is created, allowing the designer to change the layer names or even delete them, without removing the original layer names. InDesign-like script labels would have worked (for changes not deletes), but Illustrator doesn't have them.

The files are initially created by a Bridge script with a Flex app that calls to Illustrator, and a similar solution needs to extract the original layer information from the .ai files after the designers were done with them. I'd like a way to create custom attributes or simply store my layer names as xml in some existing unused metadata attribute, but I don't know much about that stuff and any attempt I've made has either failed outright or failed to carry over to another user's computer. I'm hoping someone might point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Stugots