Batch rename in Bridge scripting

General Discussion of Scripting for Adobe Bridge

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

jsaari

Post by jsaari »

I could not see if this is simple or very complex thing to do via bridge scripting - I am trying to understand scripts in this forum to ease my learning curve (I have only done relatively simple PS scripting this far - no UI, no bridge).

When images are selected in bridge, invoked script would ask/query the user for parts of the new filename (denoting for example group name, client name, copycount to add into filename) and batch rename and move renamed files into a subfolder ("named images" or such). Those parameters (additional parts to be placed into new filenames) should be remembered for the next rename.

those images do not need to be opened in photoshop. just renamed and moved.

I know the batch rename tool can do that kind of renaming but scripting could do more, such as count images and prepare lists..

Maybe bridge rating could be used to denote a favorite image among several taken of the same group (making possible one additional file copy to "selected images" folder in addition of moving renamed images out of the way).

Haven´t found a scripting listener in bridge.. in photoshop that could be used to whip up something useful that can be tweaked further.

Is it necessary to code most of the functionality oneself or does the bridge have its own toolset - different from photoshop?
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I have not worked in bridge in a long time, but I will try to offer some insight based on what I remember.

There is no script listener plugin for bridge, so don't waste your time looking for one. The main difference between bridge scripting and PS scripting is the way scripts are accessed. In PS, you can just load a script via File -> Scripts... in Bridge, you need to code it into the actual toolbar menus. With the scripts I have made that work on the selected thumbnails, I have added the script to the right click menu.

Here is a script I made awhile back:

http://ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1098

This will show you an example of adding your script the right click menu, and doing a specified task to all the selected thumbnails. Hopefully that will get you started.

Patrick