view layer information without opening the file

General Discussion of Scripting for Adobe Bridge

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Is it possible to view information about a PSD document within bridge (specifically a list of the layers and their bounds) without having to open the file in Photoshop?
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

I don't think that Bridge will help with a layer list.

I know that info is stored in the psd file. As well as info that there is no normal access to when scripting. I have been working on a psd reader to get at all that info.

However it's very hard to do as I only have the Photoshop 6 file specs and the curreent psd format is different. It seems the tag for a normal layer is '8BIMnorm'. I have some of the fields mapped, but it's no where near ready.

The layer's effects looks like it's stored as a descriptor but other parts are stored like the notes tag. And it's mind numbing without a guide.

Mike
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thanks for the info Mike. I have not done much work with Bridge, I made a small pallette awhile back to give document properties without opening, but I believe it was just the filename and dimensions.

I find Bridge to be a huge pain to script for, having to reboot bridge every time you want to test your script + not having the debugger in ESTK like you do is PS - It's really quite discouraging.

Patrick
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

Bridge scripting is a pain. I don't do much with it either.

If the info you wanted was in the metadata, you could use Bridge to access that info without the need to open the file. And I have functions that use Bridgetalk so that a Photoshop script can access the info through Bridge so the user stays in Photoshop.

If I ever get the psd reader ready for prime-time I'll send you a note.

Mike
zlatan24

Post by zlatan24 »

Patrick wrote:Is it possible to view information about a PSD document within bridge (specifically a list of the layers and their bounds) without having to open the file in Photoshop?

This complicated issue you can solve out with the aid of next program. photoshop file recovery owns quite effective facilities allowing to work out almost every trouble with crashed or deleted psd files.