simple script request, would fix contact sheet prob

General Discussion of Scripting for Adobe Bridge

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

xbytor

Post by xbytor »

It's a long while since I last used .eps it's always been a PITA format to deal with…

Same here. If somebody can show me how to do it in PS, that would be great.
larsen67

Post by larsen67 »

X, I was not able to get what the OP wanted in the GUI in PS. After placing vector only .eps as smart objects in PS… I first save to .psd file and from that to .pdf The resulting .pdf contains no editable vector objects when re-opened in an app like AI (my equivalent to Coral). The new CS5 output panel in Bridge works different to the old CS2 method for contact sheets. The CS5 version rasterizes the thumbnails my guess is using the new bitmap function. The old one used to place the images/graphics in ID and output .pdf from that where vectors are scaled but preserved… What I think the OP may in fact need is Bob's ID script… (I don't have this to test thou, I still use CS2 for doing this).

http://creativescripting.net/blog/
eashonk

Post by eashonk »

Ok, I think I need to clear up some confusion I caused. I was incorrectly remembering something I used to do, and asking for something which photoshop has no ability to achieve. I remembered importing files from photoshop into corel and using them in layouts with graphics in corel. I was able to import the files and maintain high resolution and transparent backgrounds while doing this. This is what I was remembering incorrectly. I had not used this process in over 5 years. I was thinking that I was getting vector data with an eps file, and that was wrong. After doing some testing I remembered/discovered some things that you may find useful.

Phososhop rasterizes and throws out all vector data while saving a file, (even when using smart objects, it just refers back to the original object upon opening to regain the vector data). however, you can do some interesting things. In corel (basically illustrator on the cheap) you can import pdf files, tiff files, and psd files. Doing so, you may keep transparency and layers, you can ungroup the layers in corel and edit them individually. If you flatten an image and convert it to a black and white bmp then save it as a tiff, psd, (and possibly a pdf) when you import it into corel you may change the fill color using the outline fill tool,and the background color using the fill tool. (I know it seems backwards, but that's how it works). This is very useful when creating files where you want color separations, you can import graphics from photoshop and convert them to a pantone color pallet in corel. This allows you to use the vector program for vector graphics and the pixel editor for the pixel based graphics.

None of this helps me with my original issue. However, I did discover that "larsen67" is correct, bridge does not create vector based graphics either, I would indeed have to use Indesign, which I no longer have. But this means that the contact sheets I create in photoshop can be identical in file size and formating as what I was getting from bridge. However, I do need them to be in a multipage format, like bridge creates. This is something that I think that contact sheet x could include and would be very useful. When outputting the pdf files, it should have the option of creating a multipage pdf, thus only creating a single file for each folder. A multipage pdf would be created for each subfolder and it would be named for the folder in which the files reside. (Sports/baseball, and sports/basketball would generate multipage pdfs named baseball.pdf and basketball.pdf). It would also be nice for the pdf files to have page numbers included.

This makes importing the pages into layouts in indesign or quark easier. Not to mention portability, loading to a web site, printing the documents at home or a copy shop, or just plain viewing on your home computer.

Again, if anybody knows of a freeware program to make multipage pdfs from multiple pdf files, that would work as well. I could do this with acrobat pro, but I don't have it anymore either and last time I looked, it was way overpriced.

I still cant believe you cant script the output pane in bridge. Just my luck.
eashonk

Post by eashonk »

actually, I did a search, (duh) and found this page, which shows how to create a multipage pdf from multiple pdfs in photoshop, so you could add this process after the contact sheet x script by adding a check box for it. after processing each folder, the script would run this process, then save it in the naming format I suggested above, and move on to the next sub-folder.

http://www.wipeout44.com/brain_food/multipage_pdf.asp
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

This is something that I think that contact sheet x could include and would be very useful. When outputting the pdf files, it should have the option of creating a multipage pdf, thus only creating a single file for each folder. A multipage pdf would be created for each subfolder and it would be named for the folder in which the files reside.

A multi-page PDF option would be a neat thing to have. I have no clue how to do it from PS or if it's possible, but I will look into it.

I still cant believe you cant script the output pane in bridge. Just my luck.

It's all mostly JS wrapped around a plugin at the very bottom. I looked AOM it in detail when it first came out (CS4?).
There is a lot of undocumented JS between Bridge and the (undocumented) plugin. You could, in theory, make additions
or modifications, but it would take some serious work. And time. I decided not to look into it any further as I
couldn't figure out what direction Adobe was going to take. Having CSX has kind of future-proofed me from some
of the changes that they've made.

I do know that they still get people wanting Contact Sheet II back because the AOM part of Bridge doesn't really
work well for a lot of workflows.
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

eashonk wrote:Phososhop rasterizes and throws out all vector data while saving a file, (even when using smart objects, it just refers back to the original object upon opening to regain the vector data).That is not quite right. Smart objects are embedded files. The vector data is embedded in the saved file. It does not reference the original file.
I do need them to be in a multipage format, like bridge creates. This is something that I think that contact sheet x could include and would be very useful. When outputting the pdf files, it should have the option of creating a multipage pdf, thus only creating a single file for each folder.Newer versions of Photoshop can not save a multipage pdf files. the needed plug-in ( used in the link you posted ) was removed in CS4.