snippet for getting name of current tool now runs super slow

Anyone, especially newbies, asking for help with Photoshop Scripting and Photoshop Automation - as opposed to those contributing to discussion about an aspect of Photoshop Scripting

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

weipai

Post by weipai »

hi, i have this little snippet that used to run almost instantly under CS6, but now takes up to 10 seconds in CC2014. still runs, just very very slowly. any idea why or how to fix? the code gets you the string value of the current tool, maybe someone has an alternative way of doing it? thanks

Code: Select allvar ref = new ActionReference();
ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID("capp"), charIDToTypeID( "Ordn" ), charIDToTypeID("Trgt") );
var currentTool = typeIDToStringID(executeActionGet(ref).getEnumerationType(stringIDToTypeID("tool")));
alert (currentTool);
weipai

Post by weipai »

i broke it down into steps and it seem like "executeActionGet()" is the culprit, but i really don't see a way around something so fundamental. anyone else having this issue?

var idcapp = charIDToTypeID("capp");
var idOrdn = charIDToTypeID("Ordn");
var idTrgt = charIDToTypeID("Trgt");
ref.putEnumerated( idcapp, idOrdn, idTrgt);
var desc = executeActionGet(ref); //slow down

looks like i am downgrading back to CS6 for now.
Mikaeru

Post by Mikaeru »

weipai wrote:i broke it down into steps and it seem like "executeActionGet()" is the culprit, but i really don't see a way around something so fundamental. anyone else having this issue?
I guess each new version of Photoshop adds an increasing number of properties to the application object, so you'd better build an explicit reference to the specific property you want to access.

Please try this:

ref.putProperty( charIDToTypeID("Prpr"), stringIDToTypeID("tool") );
ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID("capp"), charIDToTypeID( "Ordn" ), charIDToTypeID("Trgt") );
var currentTool = typeIDToStringID(executeActionGet(ref).getEnumerationType(stringIDToTypeID("tool")));
alert (currentTool);

which can be rewritten that way for better readability:

Code: Select allvar ref = new ActionReference ();
ref.putProperty (stringIDToTypeID ("property"), stringIDToTypeID ("tool"));
ref.putEnumerated (stringIDToTypeID ("application"), stringIDToTypeID ("ordinal"), stringIDToTypeID ("targetEnum"));
var desc = executeActionGet (ref);
var currentTool = typeIDToStringID (desc.getEnumerationType (stringIDToTypeID ("tool")));
alert (currentTool);
BTW, it seems that there was the same performance problem to get the interpolation preference in this post: bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5850

HTH,

--Mikaeru