Conflicts between multiple Photoshop Versions

Anyone, especially newbies, asking for help with Photoshop Scripting and Photoshop Automation - as opposed to those contributing to discussion about an aspect of Photoshop Scripting

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Post by Guest »

I have been writing VB6 and VB.Net scripting support programs for several years now (since 7.0).

An ongoing issue with compiled programs seems to be the fact that multiple copies of Photoshop (different versions) co-resident on the same machine cause compiled programs to not work at all.

I have tried many things but nothing ever seems to work.

Therefore I must tell my user base to un-install all versions of Photoshop and then re-install the one they want to use (commonly the newest one).

This situation existed between 7 and CS and now again between CS and CS2.

Has any other VB programmer seen this? Is there a way around this so a user can have multiple versions of Photoshop on their machine at the same time?
Larry Ligon

Post by Larry Ligon »

I have Visual Basic 6 and Photoshop 7, CS and CS 2 installed on my computer. Can you post one of your Visual Basic 6 programs so that I can test to see if I have the same problem? I'm running Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4. Let me know any error messages you get with the program you post.

Larry
MickM

Post by MickM »

I've got VB.NET, CS and CS2 (no VB6 or PS7). I'm able to use both CS and CS2 as long as I compile a version for each program with the appropriate object library and, in the case of CS, manually start up CS before running the app. I've noticed VBA scripts from Access seem to be a bit confused in that they automatically start CS and not CS2. I don't know why this is and I haven't investigated in any detail.
George E Smith

Post by George E Smith »

You can visit my website http://www.imagefire.com, download ps side click pro. Since you have both versions on your machine it is sure to not work. It is compiled with the CS library only.

As to your reply Mick. Yes I have that approach in one of my programs too. Multiple programs that can be called by a control program. Each of the called programs are compiled separately (on different machines as a matter of fact each having the appropriate version of Photoshop). The control program decides which version of Photoshop is on the machine and calles the proper one.

This is fine as long as you can create a design where a control program makes sense. You could even design it that the control program is just a loader control and never actually becomes a window itself, just determines the correct photoshop version and loads the corret module. BUT that is pretty cludgy and creates what I consider to be wasted overhead.

My user base by and large are not terribley computer wise and just getting them to start the app appropriately at times is a challenge. God forbid they have to think about which Photoshop version they have.