JPEG Save Quality

Anyone, especially newbies, asking for help with Photoshop Scripting and Photoshop Automation - as opposed to those contributing to discussion about an aspect of Photoshop Scripting

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

nevets2001uk

JPEG Save Quality

Post by nevets2001uk »

I was wondering how you can save a file as jpeg using scripting (preferably vb) with the option to set the quality between 1-100 rather than 1-12.

I may attempt an algorithm to allow me to size an image below a certain KB level but need to be able to set the quality changes to smaller imcrements.

Cheers,
Steve
Andrew

JPEG Save Quality

Post by Andrew »

Hi again Steve

More bad news. AFAIK (and I just tested for this) in PS you can only save jpg at the 12 integer quality levels. Also, you will find that SFW produces smaller files than Save As even when you strip out ICC profiles, metadata etc. You could perhaps mess around with quality yourself by using noise reduction to reduce file size between quality levels (blur slightly away from edges) but that again is asking the PC to do a fair amount of work for each image.

On a similar vein I sometimes think it could be useful to be able to measure the degree of detail in an image as a prelude to doing certain things, and doing an edge mask and getting metrics from the histogram would probably do this - then you could use that to estimate your compression. But again a disproportionate amount of work.

Andrew
nevets2001uk

JPEG Save Quality

Post by nevets2001uk »

Oh well. Thanks anyway. It looks like this will have to remain a manual stage in my process at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Steve