Converting ICC profiles and bit depth

Anyone, especially newbies, asking for help with Photoshop Scripting and Photoshop Automation - as opposed to those contributing to discussion about an aspect of Photoshop Scripting

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

dlu

Post by dlu »

I'm using Photoshop CS on Mac OS X 10.4.2 and want to convert the profile of an image and then reduce it to 8 bit. I'm using the following line of JavaScript to attempt to convert the profile.

app.activeDocument.convertProfile("Adobe RGB (1998)", Intent.PERCEPTUAL, 1, Dither.NONE);

As I'm sure some of you know, it doesn't work. I'm stumped (the error message is just numbers). I'd appreciate suggestions.

After I convert the profile, I'd like to convert from a bit depth of 16 to 8. I haven't figured out how to do this. It looks like it might be an option to changeMode (options as Object (DocumentConversionOptions)), but I've drawn a blank searching in the scripting guide or in Google for those terms.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be most thankful.

Feeling like a bit of a dunce here, Doug
dlu

Post by dlu »

Replying to my own post . . .

Right after posting here, I remembered the Adobe Photoshop Scripting forum and found a thread on convertProfile. The examples there used five arguments (new profile, intent, black point?, dither?, dither type). That fixed it.

Doug