Reading the location of guides in JavaScript

Anyone, especially newbies, asking for help with Photoshop Scripting and Photoshop Automation - as opposed to those contributing to discussion about an aspect of Photoshop Scripting

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Doug

Post by Doug »

Is there a way to read the location of guides in JavaScript (on CS)? I'd like to write a script that will take a set of four guides and crop to them.

The process I'm envisioning is that a user would create a bounding box around part of an image by dragging out guides and would then invoke a script that would create a selection from the guides, crop to the selection and then be on its merry way.

Thanks, Doug
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Guides are not something I use but there was a long thread on using them at the Adobe forum, search for:

Create Guides via script ?

Andrew
Larry Ligon

Post by Larry Ligon »

You can have the user make a selection and then you can get the bounds of the selection in CS. Try this:

Code: Select allvar bounds = new Array();
var docRef = activeDocument;

preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;

var layerSetRef = docRef.layerSets.add();
var layerRef = layerSetRef.artLayers.add();

docRef.activeLayer = layerRef;

docRef.selection.fill( app.foregroundColor);

bounds = layerSetRef.bounds;
layerSetRef.remove();
alert("bounds  = " + bounds  );

You can then crop to the bounds.

Larry
mlk

Post by mlk »

Have you looked at what the script listener recorded ? I was able to create guides, change their color, removing them (though not one by one) through scripting, but I don't recall being able to individually edit their properties.