simple search&replace of text

Anyone, especially newbies, asking for help with Photoshop Scripting and Photoshop Automation - as opposed to those contributing to discussion about an aspect of Photoshop Scripting

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

watanabee

Post by watanabee »

Hello 2 all.
Adobe made us ( graphic guys ) a poisonous gift.
I'm a little stucked and need help on PS CS2 ' cause yes i'm not so a programmer ;(
I've got a repetiting boring task to update some texts on a psd.
These are four layers identicals containing a textline
Each textline got a line break ( so this is 2 lines ), and two colors ( gray/white ), one for each.

So anyone could help me with a neat little extendscript to save me from slavery?
thanks
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

I will try to help but I need a little more info. Where does the linebreak go? In the middle of the text or at the end with more text appended?

Examples would be nice

Mike
watanabee

Post by watanabee »

Thank you so much.
here is an exemple:
http://hardreboot.free.fr/exemple.png
recipe:
4 distinct text layers
Each layer is a sentence extending upon two lines, each one a colour.

Is it possible scripting prompts, or updating from textfile?
Thanks anyways for your help.
b.
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

Thanks for the file, but what I really need is the psd file before you have done the editing so I will know what the script needs to expect. Do the layers have names that are the same in all the files that need to be edited? Are the layers in layer sets. Is the line break already there or does it need to be added? That kind of thing.

As far as the prompt or importing from a text file goes, yes that can be done. But I thought you were only changing the color of the existing text. What did you have in mind? You may just want to set up a template and have the layers change as part of a data set.

Mike
watanabee

Post by watanabee »

Sorry for being long, and thanks again.
here is the PS file
http://hardreboot.free.fr/demo.zip
http://hardreboot.free.fr/demo.psd

Once again: my point is to update textual contents inside the PSD file easily, as i'm changing those f... texts very often, the colors, places, etc... are remaining the same.

I thought of a prompt asking for 8 text strings, or direct import from text file
ex of textfilecontent:

text1white
text1grey
text2white
text2grey
etc...

Thanks for your help, mike
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

Have you looked at Data Sets/Variables for this? The only subtlety that I can see is that you'd have to put a '\r' in a value to specify where the linebreak goes.

-X
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

I think X is right, a variable data file would be a good way to go. I updated your sample psd and defined the variables. I also created a sample text file using the variable def. It will create a graphic with cardinal numbers in five languages, a different graphic for each language.

Those files are here bb/viewtopic.php?p=3395#3395
watanabee

Post by watanabee »

Mike Hale wrote:I think X is right, a variable data file would be a good way to go.
I updated your sample psd and defined the variables. I also created a sample text file using the variable def. It will create a graphic with cardinal numbers in five languages, a different graphic for each language.
I can understand what you've made to layers, and how it's related with the text file. I've ( finally ) found what you were talking about: File > Import > variable Data sets. It's very kewl, and for others, you have then to trigger file > export > data sets as files.
This is kewl, m8s, Thanks!
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

watanabee wrote:I've ( finally ) found what you were talking about: File > Import > variable Data sets.

I'm sorry that I forgot to include the instructions. One tip I might add is that you can have Photoshop use the value of the first column as the filename, so you may want to structure your text file with that in mind.