droplet for multiple machines?

Anyone, especially newbies, asking for help with Photoshop Scripting and Photoshop Automation - as opposed to those contributing to discussion about an aspect of Photoshop Scripting

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

JBW

Post by JBW »

Here's the senario - I've built an extensive droplet that I'm trying to market and have downloadable. I didn't want to use actions because they are so easy to reverse engeneer?? The problem I am having is that when I save the droplet with a destination folder, it only works on computers with that specific file path to the destination folder. Can I write a "variable" into the file path in the save process for the Desktop or Applications folder? If so can someone help me with that info for Mac and PC?
I do need a destination folder (I think?) because, among other things, the droplet the image to 600px etc. I want to preserve the original image and have the droplet create a modified copy. That all currently works, just having problems with the personalized machine compatibility, say if a person renames their HD to something other than Machintosh HD... WARNING - I don't write code but I understand concepts... HELP
THANK YOU
null

Post by null »

Droplet's are only minimally harder to "reverse engineer" than actions -- they are actually just a wrapper around an .atn file that launches Photoshop. As a matter of fact, X's xtoolkit has a "droplet decompiler" that converts a droplet back to an action.

You may be better off distributing a standard action that Photoshop users are already familiar with and that would work on both Mac/PC. Many people successfully sell actions. Plus, yoru customers would be able to use it from within Photoshop like a regular action, batch it via Automate > Batch, etc.

Just my $0.02.
JBW

Post by JBW »

Thanks for the advice. However, my users will include a lot of people (teachers and students) who don't know enough about photoshop to use actions, let alone load actions and build droplets of their own. Anyone else have a droplet solution. Or how hard is it to do in scripts or convert to scripts? in Java?? and or build as a plug in?? Again, sorry, I'm no programmer.
-JBW
pankaj

Post by pankaj »

yes it is possible to convert droplet in exe. and work as a
DRAGand DROP. also work as Click and work. and also work in any machine , i do it with my home made softwre for lockal use for my

But only Xbitors tool kit will open it easly....
JBW

Post by JBW »

Thank you for your response!

I do have a version of the droplet that works on many machines, but it does not insure that the user will not save over his original and it does not give me the renaming options that I would like. The droplets that I have that work on any machine were created using the Save to "none" option in the "create droplet" dialog box and have no destination folder. As soon as I include the destination folder option, if the file path to the folder is not exactly the same for another machine (i.e. Machintosh HD/User/Joe/Desktop/RESULTS FOLDER) it gives me "cannot run the droplet because of a disk error". I hope that clarifies the problem a little more...?

Can it be decompiled, fixed with a filepath that works on all machines, (sorry, one version Mac and one for PC) and recompiled?

While I'm at it, any ideas on how to make this thing NOT SO EASY TO PIRATE???
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

Can it be decompiled, fixed with a filepath that works on all machines, (sorry, one version Mac and one for PC) and recompiled?

Yes. But it's not necessarily easy.

While I'm at it, any ideas on how to make this thing NOT SO EASY TO PIRATE???

There is nothing that can be done that would not cost a lot of money or time. You would ultimately have to have a plugin that your action/droplet called to verify that the person/machine running it was permitted.

-X