Action not working at certain times during the day

Anyone, especially newbies, asking for help with Photoshop Scripting and Photoshop Automation - as opposed to those contributing to discussion about an aspect of Photoshop Scripting

Moderators: Tom, Kukurykus

Charlie Chalk

Post by Charlie Chalk »

Hi

I realise this isn't an Actions Forum, but I have posted this on the Adobe forum without any success so I wondered if you guys might be able to help.

Sorry Mods - I didn't realise I wasn't logged in on the other post titled the same as this one (didn't know you could post as a guest - do now!) could you please delete the first 'guest' post?

I have an action, converted into a droplet, that works perfectly during the morning and early afternoon. when I try it after around 3:30pm onwards all I get are 'Disk Error' messages from within Photoshop (CS2).

I've had the same from all the Macs here that I've tried it from, and also from a college over in the States. So I guess it's not a problem with my Mac.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it, if you need any further info please let me know.

I guess all I would just like someone to tell me they've had this before - to stop me thinking I'm going mad!

CC
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

Some more info will help. Is the droplet on a local drive or networked. Does it save files and if so to local or networked
Charlie Chalk

Post by Charlie Chalk »

Its a Droplet that creates a series of layers from two placed PDF's (the droplet prompts you for the PDF's). the PDF's are on the local machine and the PSD file it produces is saved onto a local machine.

(the saving of the files was the bit you helped with yesterday)

The layers are nothing special, one is inverted, two are 50% opacity, and two are used for a two frame animation.

hope this helps, let me know if you need to no more.
Charlie Chalk

Post by Charlie Chalk »

Also, the disk error comes right at the very start, before it's had time to show any propts or do any processing.
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

Let's be a bit more specific here. If you insert a Stop as the first step in your action (and regenerate the droplet), does the Stop dialog pop-up? If so, I would suggest setting your playback options to 'Pause' for 3 or 4 seconds so you can determine exactly which step in the action is causing problems.

If it doesn't reach the Stop, try regenerating the droplet again. If that doesn't work, let us know what your options are for generating the droplet.

Worst case, post the droplet here and a couple of us will take a look at it directly.

ciao,
-X
xbytor

Post by xbytor »

One more question: Do you see the same problem when running the Action directly instead of running the droplet?

Post by Guest »

Hi

To answer your questions:
The droplet does already have a stop as the first action (has the company name copyright notice etc on it) but the droplet never gets this far.

I've re-generated the Droplet a few times, with the same outcome. I'm not at work now so can't say what the exact options where, i'll have to check in the morning.

The interesting thing is that the Action, when run, doesn't return any errors - disk or otherwise.

I'll get back to you tomorrow with the options

CC
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Zip the action and the droplet up and upload it in the Uploads forum, be interesting to see how it behaves for other people here.

Andrew
Mike Hale

Post by Mike Hale »

One other thing to ask/test. If you run the droplet with photoshop not open, does the droplet open it? If not, them it's might not be a photoshop problem. Does any other apps slow down that time of day?
Charlie Chalk

Post by Charlie Chalk »

Hi
If Photoshop isn't open, then the droplet works. But as soon as Photoshop is open and you re-try the droplet the Disk Error message returns.

One thing to note, we do have quite strictly managed proiles here, not sure if that has anything to do with it (But if it had, surely that would result in the droplet not working at all - at any time of day?).

I'll Zip the droplet later this morning and let you know when its there.

CC