Configurator?

General Discussion of Scripting for Flex, Flash & CS SDK

Moderator: PS-Moderators

Configurator?

Postby Mike Hale » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:57 pm

I know that I have been out of touch for a while but can anyone explain Adobe's current plan for Flash panels? Do I need Configurator, Flex, or Flash?

Mike
Mike Hale
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4332
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:52 pm
Location: USA

Postby xbytor » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:00 am

If I remember correctly, Flex/ActionScript3+ is what they use. It's not real high on my list of priorities but I did look at the underlying tech when CS3 first came out.

ActionScript3 is basically JS with lots if ObjectOriented sugar-coating. There was a push to make this the next official rev of JS, but sanity prevailed. Enough is going into the next rev already. AS3 would have increased the implementation complexity unnecessarily.

-X
xbytor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: In Limbo

Re: Configurator?

Postby jtranber » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:13 pm

Mike Hale wrote:I know that I have been out of touch for a while but can anyone explain Adobe's current plan for Flash panels? Do I need Configurator, Flex, or Flash?


To create Flash panels, you will need flex.

Check out the examples in the SDK:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/photoshop/

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/photoshop/p ... _guide.pdf

You can pull it off with Flash, but Flex is more geared towards building UI's.

http://scriptplayground.com/tutorials/a ... Flash-CS4/

Configurator is a tool for building UIs visually - and you can attach scripts to pieces of that UI. It is available on labs:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/configurator/
- Jeff
Adobe Photoshop, QE Product Lead
jtranber
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:34 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Mike Hale » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:08 pm

Call me Goldilocks, but;

Flex is too much. I don't want to buy and learn another app just to make a UI.

Configurator is too little. I would like to see the action/script/file buttons more configurable, ie no icons or custom icons.

And I can't get my Flash created panel to work when I follow the scriptplayground tutorial.

Mike
Mike Hale
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4332
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:52 pm
Location: USA

Postby jtranber » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:56 am

Mike Hale wrote:Call me Goldilocks, but;

Flex is too much. I don't want to buy and learn another app just to make a UI.


Like it or not, that's the direction things are moving. Times change, tools evolve.

Mike Hale wrote:Configurator is too little. I would like to see the action/script/file buttons more configurable, ie no icons or custom icons.


I think that's something that team would like to add.

Mike Hale wrote:And I can't get my Flash created panel to work when I follow the scriptplayground tutorial.


Email Matt Keefe. He can probably get you up and running.
- Jeff
Adobe Photoshop, QE Product Lead
jtranber
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:34 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Mike Hale » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:22 am

jtranber wrote:Like it or not, that's the direction things are moving. Times change, tools evolve.


I do like the idea of Flash panels. Dr. Brown's Lenticular is a great example. Guess it's time to download the Flex trail and take it for a spin.

Mike
Mike Hale
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4332
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:52 pm
Location: USA

Postby jtranber » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:25 am

Mike Hale wrote:
jtranber wrote:Like it or not, that's the direction things are moving. Times change, tools evolve.


I do like the idea of Flash panels. Dr. Brown's Lenticular is a great example. Guess it's time to download the Flex trail and take it for a spin.


Mike, do you have my email address? Shoot me an email.
- Jeff
Adobe Photoshop, QE Product Lead
jtranber
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:34 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby jtranber » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:18 pm

Mike Hale wrote:
jtranber wrote:Like it or not, that's the direction things are moving. Times change, tools evolve.


I do like the idea of Flash panels. Dr. Brown's Lenticular is a great example. Guess it's time to download the Flex trail and take it for a spin.

Mike


More examples, code here: http://www.tranberry.com/panels/
- Jeff
Adobe Photoshop, QE Product Lead
jtranber
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:34 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN


Return to Flex, Flash & CS SDK: General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests